[lbo-talk] US looks to arm Iran's neighbors, general says

Joel Schalit managingeditor at tikkun.org
Fri May 19 09:40:31 PDT 2006

yes, this is not surprising. the US is promoting a Gulf-wide strategic alliance against the Iranians - both as an alternative to the Israelis as the only locally allied force against Iran, and because Gulf states have extremely deep pockets to spend on US hardware. its a win-win situation for the US, so to speak, and it sets up an interesting alliance of strategic interest between the US, Israel, the Saudis and local emirates.

i would wager that what's not being mentioned here in terms of potential arms sales are medium range and short range artillery - tactical battlefield missiles, American katyushas (called the MLRS here) - and longer range fighter - bombers like the updated F15s being sold to the Israelis and South Koreans. in short, this is going to represent a remarkable militarization of the region, above and beyond anything we've seen before.

not surprised at all, really. the occupation of Iraq has so de- stablized the region, every neighboring government was bound to rearm in unprecedented ways to help themselves stay afloat. both the americans and the europeans have been poised to capitalize on this for a while now.