[lbo-talk] Erschlossenheit, noch einmal

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri May 19 13:33:40 PDT 2006

You're welcome Miles. Thank you.

I would say that the Nazi who genuinely believes Jews are Untermenschen and a threat to the race and thereby goes about slaughtering them is being totally authentic. As I said, it is a descriptive, not normative, term. It is perfectly possible to be authentic and be a mass murderer at the same time. It has nothing to do with ethics.

Heidegger would definitely say that authenticity is determined by local ideas or as he would put it local "understandings of the world."

Heidegger is doing phenomenology, i.e., analysis of consciousness (in Husserl's view) or experience of being (in Heidegger's view). There is no way one will derive a common ethics by examining the consciousness/experience (that is, the world as experienced by them) of the empirically existing human beings Hitler, Stalin, and Ghandi.