[lbo-talk] jury duty

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri May 19 14:13:55 PDT 2006

>From: andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>
>
>... Of course the are sleazeball
>lawyers who will fuck you. And fraudster
>businesspeople who will rob you blind. And incompetent
>and dishonest and incompetent doctors. My point is not
>that lawyers are unusually ethical. Rather they are no
>more or less ethical -- or greedy -- than most people.

Sounds suspiciously like a lawyer's argument :) Am afraid this is a no-win case for you, counselor. Technically you're right: There is no reality-based reason that lawyers should be more ethical than any other occupational group. But the very nature of the legal craft -- a profession whose raison d'être is rules enforcement -- creates higher public expectations concerning legal ethics. There is clearly double-think here. On some level, people know those higher expectations are absurd, yet they maintain them nonetheless. That accounts, I believe, for the often intense hostility of lawyer jokes. I think a similar dynamic is at work in the public view of Catholic priests, with their absurd professional claim of being non-sexual humans. The public knows this claim is preposterous, yet is outraged when priests show sexual behavior.

As the philosopher Art Linkletter observed, people are funny.

Carl