[lbo-talk] US looks to arm Iran's neighbors, general says

Joel Schalit managingeditor at tikkun.org
Fri May 19 14:25:54 PDT 2006

i'm not a fan of theocrats, and see no point backing them in anti- colonial struggles. as a progressive, i reject Hamas on ideological grounds - just as i would any religious party. but i respect what palestinian voters decided. at some point Hamas might choose to recognize Israel, just as Fatah once did. they really have not decided what to do yet.. it would be stupid for them not to, quite honestly - as stupid as the Israelis not recognizing Hamas. the Iranians certainly stand to lose if there is a Hamas/Israel conciliation. but the Hamas leadership is really quite sophisticated - they might find a way to balance relations with both parties. the jury is still out.