[lbo-talk] Fwd: 'Hall of Shame' Shows Reach of Homophobia - Human Rights Watchl

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Fri May 19 15:39:53 PDT 2006

On 5/19/06, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Moscow is a very wealthy city -- it has something like
> 70% of Russia's wealth. (Wendy Lyon was here a few
> months back, perhaps she can corroborate me on this --
> she went from affluent Moscow to poor Samara [I think
> it was]).

Actually for most of the visit we weren't even in Samara proper, but a good couple hours outside it. It was as depressing as any place I've ever visited (although I imagine I won't be able to say that for long, since I'm going to Ethiopia this summer). What did my head in was meeting a Tajik who said he went there for work because he could make so much more money there. Tajikistan must be one bleak place.

> But then I'm not gay or an immigrant. Well, I AM an immigrant of course,

:) I do that too.