[lbo-talk] jury duty/Real expertise

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Fri May 19 20:00:37 PDT 2006

Personally, I also like to avoid doctors if at all possible. They can do you at least as much harm as lawyers, in more sensitive spots.

I've done a lot of filing documents with courts over the years though and I long ago decided that this "fuck them" attitude is not the right way to go at all. On the contrary, I always approach them in a humble and respectful way. (Which is extraordinarily alien to my nature, so if I can do it anyone can.)

The way I look at it is, these poor bastards have to deal with lawyers every day of the week, who treat them like shit for the most part. They just have to take it. So (a) They deserve a break and (b) I can't compete with lawyers as far as being contemptuous and threatening, so it might completely disarm them to be treated the exact opposite to what they have come to expect.

And it usually does work, at worst (I'm thinking here of the local Magistrates court staff) it at least doesn't seem to do any harm. In fact, these court clerks can be extremely helpful, give you lots of advice, on arcane procedural matters and suggest things you might never have thought of. (Of course they always seem to like prefacing their remarks with the reminder that "...this is not legal advice", as if telling you which form needs to be filled in, or what filing fee exemptions are applicable, is "legal advice".)

Plus, at the back of my mind, I've always had the lingering suspicion that if some nobody like me ever really pissed them off, they might just as easily lose some important document down the back of a filing cabinet. So my respect is not entirely feigned. As a matter of policy, while I wouldn't think twice about taking the piss out of a judge, I always defer to court clerks, as if they Gods.

That might be where you went wrong.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas