[lbo-talk] Chavez and his Carpers

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat May 20 17:45:05 PDT 2006

Dennis Perrin wrote:

> Chavez is not "sacred" to me. But he does operate in the real world, against
> real threats, and to date, has accomplished real things. That this means
> nothing to you save to shout "dictator" and wave your little black flag is
> your problem, not mine.

While Chavez's route or strategy probably won't transfer to the core imperialist nations, it may in fact provide not a model but at least a set of pointers for revolutionaries in some or many quasi-democracies in the 'third world.' I think that a reason Chavez seems to be hated so much both some/many anarchists as well as one strain of Trotskyists is that he and his comrades and followers might very well be opening up our sense of what is possible -- and for those who already know every jot and tittle of the complete and final truth, the opening up of new possibilities is truly frightening.

Not sacred to me -- but I am beginning to be a bit in awe!

Carrol