[lbo-talk] Re: Let Us Be Glad It Is Hard to Amend the Constitution

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 20 19:32:11 PDT 2006

Dear List:

Doug writes:

> That is exactly the rationale that Madison & Co. used, except their idea
> of "idiot passions" included any "wicked" attempt by the masses to
> expropriate the rich.

There are two questions with regard to fear here. One is whether or not there need to be restraints on mob behavior. I say yes. Having faced more mobs than I want to recall, I know first hand how dangerous they are. Gay bashing anyone? Racial assault? The passions are not to be trusted.

The second question is whether or not what Madison & Co. were afraid of were, in actuality, legitimate goals. I think the goals were correct. So while Madison & Co were afraid of what I believe to be important goals, they were right to fear mobs.

Also, Madison & Co did not make it impossible to amend the Constitution -- they merely guarded it from the mob. A well-organized collective, working rationally and logically can amend the Constitution. What sinks most efforts are the idiot passions which people allow themselves to be ruled by instead of being the masters of these passions and behaving rationally.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister