[lbo-talk] churchill: wow

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 20 21:56:23 PDT 2006

This all makes sense but this leaves me having to explain that I never thought of Churchill as a "real scholar" if that makes any sense to you.

If I want scholarly research on NA populations I go to Russell, not Ward. In the disagreement between them I was under the impression that the issue was one of an improper listing of a citation. I would not assume that Ward would have broken any new ground or that his knowledge of NA populations was greater than Russells.

If I want easily accessible information written for a popular audience I read Churchill. I consider his work much like Christian Parenti's book "Lockdown" there are no new discoveries in the book but it is a good book. With no new discoveries I guess Dennis considers it "crap" as well?

His book on Indian residential schools, "Kill the Indian, Save the Man" is a good read and full of information that is not readily available. It is not scholarly and breaks no new ground. I don't expect it to. If I want a scholarly approach to this subject David Adams book "Education for Extinction" would be a better if less accessible choice.

With what you have written I now at least partly understand Dennis's complaint but disagree that if his work is not scholarly and hasn't "discovered something no one else has" like Chomsky's work then it is rubbish. I think professors who writer for popular audiences do society a great service by increasing our exposure to ideas and facts that would remain obscure except within academic circles. If you want to criticise him as non-scholarly and as more of a writer for popular audiences that's is a very legitimate complaint but this hardly makes his writing "crap" to quote Dennis again. Maybe Dennis knows lots of authors who have put out the same information of concern to Native Americans in an easily accessible form that Churchill has. I don't, and that makes Churchills contribution valuable. I cannot get history students at the community college to read Russell Thornton's work, it isn't understandable to them. I can get them to read Churchills' work however because they can understand it. While Dennis may think this means nothing in the real physical world I happen to think it does.

John Thornton