[lbo-talk] Death of Iraq

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Sun May 21 01:08:57 PDT 2006

On 5/20/06, Dennis Redmond <dredmond at efn.org> wrote:
> Yoshie wrote:
>
> > Modern Iraq has died, all the same.
>
> One should never underestimate Iraqis. They have one of the oldest,
> richest cultures on the planet, and a long history of resisting invaders.
> You can see that tenacity in Riverbend, an author who has my highest
> admiration:
>
> http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/

Riverbend is a great chronicler. This must be the first time in history the death of a nation has been so richly electronically documented, in real time.

Reading her diary is not unlike watching a baby die before our eyes due to lack of medical supplies in an Iraqi hospital, near the end of a documentary titled "Iraq's Missing Billions": <http://www.journeyman.tv/?lid=56149>.

An Iraqi friend of mine recently got hold of this documentary on video, and she did a showing. Only a handful showed up. I was one of the few, and so was an Iranian friend of mine. That's when I made up my mind about what should be Western leftists' priority. It's too late to save modern Iraq. The dead cannot be resurrected. But modern Iran is still alive. It's time for triage.

How long will Riverbend remain in Iraq? She has education, so she has means to live as an exile elsewhere. It is brave and patriotic of her to persist in Baghdad. I wonder if she, too, will be eventually forced to abandon Iraq or die with it.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>