[lbo-talk] How Jewish is Israel?

Joel Schalit managingeditor at tikkun.org
Sun May 21 09:21:41 PDT 2006

This is a decent piece - thanks for forwarding, Doug. its very interesting to see Haaretz' editorial choices for whom they chose to draft responses to A.B. Yehoshua's statement two weeks ago in DC - that you can only be a real Jew in Israel. Like a lot of mainstream periodicals, even Time harbors some fairly diverse opinions amongst its editors. I worked with a terrific writer with great progressive politics from their Jerusalem bureau last year - he was their Jerusalem bureau chief until this spring. His name is Matt Rees, and he wrote a fantastic piece about mentally ill holocaust survivors, and how they've been historically screwed by Israel's health care system.