[lbo-talk] jury duty/Real expertise

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun May 21 10:20:01 PDT 2006

1. Your objection misses the point. Drs don't create illness, but they and medical researchers create the knowledge that Drs use to cure them. Likewise Lawyers don't, mainly, create the conflicts that the law is designed to regulate. Like the diseases that drs deal with, these are generated exogenously. The law that lawyers in part create -- a set of rules to prevent conflicts from degenerating into feud and violence and to provide predictable guides for the conduct of social life -- requires, like medicine, mastery of a necessary (in many cases) highly specialized body of technical knowledge that requires competent experts to master and use them.

To put it differently and more simply, your objection to the analogy fails because you are thinking of it this way:

disease is to doctors as law is to lawyers

when the analogies are really:

disease is to drs as conflict is lawyers medicine is to doctors as law is to lawyers.

The analogy is therefore correct and appropriate.

2. Lawyers don't per se, create law -- legislators and agency officials do. Once upon a time judges made up a lot of legal rules -- the common law -- and state court judges still have this power, but don't really use it that much. Law is mostly legislation and regulation. Many of these laws are initially drafted by lawyers in their capacity, typically, as lobbyists, but in that capacity the point is not to benefit the legal profession but their corporate masters. Obviously the rules are influenced by those with power in our society. These people are not lawyers as lawyers, who merely serve the powerful in the main.

4