[lbo-talk] How Jewish is Israel?

Joel Schalit managingeditor at tikkun.org
Sun May 21 11:00:38 PDT 2006

I really appreciate the second point you made below, Joanna. Israeli periodicals are loaded with their own ideological problems. However, when discussing the Arab-Israeli conflict, and Jewish issues in general, they tend - especially Haaretz - to allow far more freedom of discussion of these subjects than anything you'll find outside of Israel. The holy cows that American Jews hold dear are punctured continuously by its opinion editorials and features. Its an interesting conundrum, particularly for Diaspora Jewish publications like mine, which publish many articles similar in tone and analysis to Haaretz', but nevertheless continually get criticized for being anti-Semitic.

At this point in time, Haaretz probably has a larger English language readership - for its website publications - than any Jewish publication outside of Israel. Given how liberal its editorial positions tend to be, its probably done more to help create a new ideological consensus about discussing Israel abroad - amongst Jews especially - than any other periodical. A lot of this has to do with the fact that its English language website has replaced the Jerusalem Post as the Israeli periodical that Diaspora Jews read for their Mid- East news. Fascinatingly enough, if you peruse the reader comments on their articles, 90 percent come from American Jewish right-wingers.

With repetition, I wager, truth accretes. Especially for foreign zionists, especially the most reactionary ones, who tend to overvalue what Israelis have to say as though they were Biblical pronouncements. If only AIPAC could take a fucking hint.