Re: [lbo-talk] Embracing Chavez Too Late (was NYT to Chávez : Drop Dead)

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Sun May 21 15:01:18 PDT 2006

On May 21, 2006, at 4:18 PM, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Many of us have acquired at least a reading knowledge of Spanish

Any suggestions from anyone out there on how to get a better grasp of Spanish in my spare time? My Spanish is really lousy and rusty, though I did have some conversations (or so they seemed to me--god knows what the other conversants, who do speak Spanish, thought) in it the last time I was in San Fran.

Interestingly, I've never had such a conversation here in northwest Arkansas. I wonder if that's just me, or if there's some larger issue--that so many of the local workers were recruited by corporations who (presumably) had a preference for people who spoke English, or that there's much assimilationist thought here, or just where in San Fran I was, or what?