[lbo-talk] Pullum: The Dan Brown Code

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun May 21 15:16:05 PDT 2006

Opus Dei are one of the creepiest Catholic Church organizations I can think of, not least because they've actively, openly supported mass murderers like the fascist Franco of Spain in the 1930s. You probably know that in 1982 Pope John Paul II amended the Apostolic Constitution to make Opus Dei a formal, integral part of the Church, and that Opus Dei leader Escriva was made a saint by Paul as well, much to the outrage of Spanish Civil War anti-fascist vets, and other who remember their role in helping the falangists.

-B.

Jerry Monaco wrote:

"I know that Opus Dei was not mentioned here but I thought I would take the opportunity to bring them up. What is missed in all of the mass media commentaries on the DaVinci Code that I have read or heard is the real political significance of Opus Dei in the context of Roman Catholicism. Opus Dei has tried to operate as a network to fight against all those in the Catholic Church who might ally themselves with the poor."