[lbo-talk] Re: Orthodox and Muslims Slam 'Da Vinci'

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 22 08:35:50 PDT 2006

Dear List:

Chris posted an article with the following:

"Russian Orthodox and Muslim leaders have formed a united front blasting the new movie "The Da Vinci Code" as blasphemous and an act of "spiritual terrorism."

I think this is what the left has to work against.

Non-members of a religious group do not blaspheme or commit acts of spiritual terrorism.

The left has to remind people that there is no right not to have religious sensibilities be offended. In their private spheres, people can arrange their lives any way they want, but in the public sphere they cannot expect to be immune from criticism.

I would love it if people never said anything negative about queers, but in a secular society, people have the right to be critical.

This demand that a person's religion be respected and not challenged is a backdoor attempt to impose theocracy.

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister