[lbo-talk] Re: Orthodox and Muslims Slam 'Da Vinci'

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Mon May 22 10:22:43 PDT 2006

On 5/22/06, Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:
> Yoshie has been careful to say "leftists should," not "the left should,"
> and that helps but still she is not giving enough consideration to the
> "state of the left" -- i.e., to our available forces -- in her posts on
> Iran.

Taking a sober look at the "state of the left," one would be tempted to say: "I'm just gonna cultivate my garden, like Candide." Why bother talking to any leftist about the need to understand and clarify the Ahmadinejad administration's social and economic program, the imperative of fighting against state measures that are motivated by and promote xenophobia though couched in defense of women, etc.? Why not read that Juan Goytisolo novel that I always meant to read instead? Or go shopping and buy a pair of new shoes? If we are going to Hell in a hand basket, let it be at least said that I'm getting there well-read and well-dressed. . . .

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>