[lbo-talk] Re: Orthodox and Muslims Slam 'Da Vinci'

Tayssir John Gabbour tjg at pentaside.org
Mon May 22 15:49:28 PDT 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
> Taking a sober look at the "state of the left," one would be tempted
> to say: "I'm just gonna cultivate my garden, like Candide." Why
> bother talking to any leftist about the need to understand and clarify
> the Ahmadinejad administration's social and economic program, the
> imperative of fighting against state measures that are motivated by
> and promote xenophobia though couched in defense of women, etc.?

Seems inconsistent that a leftist would by default support an establishment or powerful central figure, without serious skepticism. A gap of years sounds rational.

But I'd claim that many US leftists actually have supported Venezuela before Chavez was born -- by countering our own radically militant extremism, and undermining the BS generated by our media and economists. Without the resources of the CNNs and Harvards.

Tayssir