[lbo-talk] Velasco

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Mon May 22 16:45:15 PDT 2006

On 5/22/06, Jim Devine <jdevine03 at gmail.com> wrote:

>I myself once was excessively positive toward
> the Velasco government of Peru (until I studied it a bit).

Jim, I'd be very curious to hear your take on Velasco (he is of course vilified by the right in Peru). My understanding is that he introduced urgently-needed agricultural reform -- he broke up the huge, quasi feudal latifundia -- but the way he did so was less than successful; rather than returning the land to the workers and campesinos themselves, he replaced the former management with state-run bureaucracies, and the latter didn't didn't perform well at all.

The issue is all the more germane given that Evo is planning agricultural reform in Bolivia Real Soon Now. I hope does a better job of it than Velasco.

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam