[lbo-talk] Street-fighting Days

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue May 23 07:33:50 PDT 2006

uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

>Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>> I think I'll stick with Chavez.
>
>Rest of the world must follow Cuba and Venezuela?

I really don't get where you're coming from politically, but here's what I think: for a lot of the world, capitalist development isn't working out so well. Much of Latin America and South Asia and almost all of Africa are doing quite poorly. Alternatives to orthodoxy are desperately needed by the billion or two of the world's poor. Cuba has managed to achieve a high level of social development despite material poverty, and Venezuela is trying to break out of neoliberal orthodoxy. Not many other places can reproduce Venezuela, since most other places don't have oil. But it's a try. What do you propose?

Doug