[lbo-talk] Maryland restaurant posts signs barring "fags" "coloreds"

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Tue May 23 07:47:01 PDT 2006

> The Happy Harbor Inn, a popular dockside restaurant in
> the southern Maryland town of Deale, displayed the sign
> next to its main entrance as saying, "ATTENTION BIKERS:
> NO COLOREDS, FAGS, CLUB ATTIRE, (no) EXCEPTIONS,"

When I was a kid, I remember a sign in the window at the local corner bar that said "No colors" and I was a little worried (I grew up in an integrated, rust-belt city) until I found out that "colors" wasn't referring to the pigment of your skin, it was referring to 'motorcycle club colors' which includes things like a colorful jacket with a "Hell's Angels" patch on the back. "Club attire" is also a reference to this kind of thing. "Fags" could have been "rags" (in the "do rag" style) ... get out a piece of paper and a pen, and write quickly the word "rags" ... does your 'r' look like an 'f' even a little bit? So it sounds like this got reported wrong -- weird that the initial report was from shocked city slickers:

>> "It was very clear," he said of the sign. "It said no
>> coloreds, no fags, and no bikers. It just seemed weird,"
>> Edwards said. "It was anachronistic."

I don't buy it. It starts with "Attention Bikers:" ... so it didn't say "no bikers" ... I think people see what they want to see sometimes. I think they read it wrong. The reporter went there, but only looked "from a distance" ...?