[lbo-talk] Street-fighting Days

Aditya Mopur mopuradityabharadwaj at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 14:02:46 PDT 2006

I'm sure this has been debated to death and maybe beyond on this forum, but I'm fresh off the boat, so please bear with me and feel free to point out any errors:)

>> What is exactly "neo-liberal orthodoxy"?

Ulhas, i believe the baseline for any neo-liberal is "The Washington Consensus", which is basically the stance parroted ad nauseam by the likes of the WTO, IMF, World Bank and the Asian Development Bank and involves a significant redistribution of assets towards capitalists, which more often than not means towards North American/Western European companies, themselves following slightly less aggressive policies than the erstwhile British East India Company(well, depending on whom you ask).

a useful start maybe made here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_consensus

for a slightly more gripping account of what a neo-liberal operation looks like from the inside, i recommend "Confessions of an Economic Hitman" by John Perkins:)

Aditya --

"All our lauded technological progress -- our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal." -Albert Einstein