[lbo-talk] Street-fighting Days

Mike Ballard swillsqueal at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 23 21:20:35 PDT 2006

Speaking of the political situation in France, Seth said:

If you're a leftist and you want to ally with the conservative, religious segment of the Muslim community, you might well be against the ban. If not, you might be for it. (Or you might be for or against it for lots of different reasons. One of the Trotskyist parties was for the ban, while its youth wing was against it.) I'd note that Jean-Marie Le Pen was against the ban.

Point of information: Most of the left in and out of Iran blocked with "the coservative religious segment of the Muslim community" when the Shah was being toppled in a largely peaceful political revolution. What happened after the the streets were not longer filled with shouts of "mag bah Shah" was that the left, including the workers who had shut down the oil fields were told to shut up or face extermination.

Me, I'm for banning religious symbols in public schools, including crosses, Stars of David and the hijab. Also, history shouts at me, "Don't block with social conservatives."

Regards, Mike B)

Read "Penguins in Bondage": http://happystiletto.blogspot.com/