[lbo-talk] 3 videos I uploaded to YouTube, enjoy

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed May 24 03:32:18 PDT 2006

>From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
>
>... But on bad days, I don't see that too many people resist hierarchy - in
>fact, an awful lot of people seem to take pleasure in it.

[An awful lot of people at the top of hierarchies take pleasure in hierarchies. Speaking of which, look at the funfest the execs atop Home Depot's hierarchy are having (btw, I shop at the Home Despot, as I call it, and employees there look pretty demoralized -- service has really declined):]

May 24, 2006

Gilded Paychecks | Ties That Bind: With Links to Home Depot Board, Chief Saw Pay Soar as Stock Fell

By JULIE CRESWELL

Every October, some 50 former Home Depot managers, calling themselves the Former Orange-Blooded Executives, after the home-improvement chain's trademark bright orange color, gather in Atlanta to reminisce, chat about new jobs and pass around pictures of their children.

The discussion inevitably turns to the changes at Home Depot under its chief executive, Robert L. Nardelli. A growing source of resentment among some is Mr. Nardelli's pay package. The Home Depot board has awarded him $245 million in his five years there. Yet during that time, the company's stock has slid 12 percent while shares of its archrival, Lowe's, have climbed 173 percent.

Why would a company award a chief executive that much money at a time when the company's shareholders are arguably faring far less well? Some of the former Home Depot managers think they know the reason, and compensation experts and shareholder advocates agree: the clubbiness of the six-member committee of the company's board that recommends Mr. Nardelli's pay.

Two of those members have ties to Mr. Nardelli's former employer, General Electric. One used Mr. Nardelli's lawyer in negotiating his own salary. And three either sat on other boards with Home Depot's influential lead director, Kenneth G. Langone, or were former executives at companies with significant business relationships with Mr. Langone. ...

<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/24/business/24board.html?ei=5094&en=a674c85cd979cd3e&hp=&ex=1148529600&adxnnl=1&partner=homepage&adxnnlx=1148465495-8qzMvPzeH3JfyNqIip5z6g>

Carl