[lbo-talk] artsy-fartsy

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Wed May 24 08:52:28 PDT 2006

How does an inanimate object (i.e., art, with the exception of performance art) "distinguish itself"? Art can't talk, walk, cry, or distinguish.

Whatever one thinks, distinguishing "art" from non-art has to be in the eyes of the beholders. _We_ (the observers) distinguish art from non-art. There's an element of popularity contest in distinguishing art from non-art.

[that's it for today.]