[lbo-talk] Moscow's social democracy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed May 24 13:10:29 PDT 2006

martin wrote:

>On May 24, 2006, at 8:23 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
>>Maybe I'm just influenced by my current life sitch, but...what more
>>do you need?!?!?!
>>

>Yesterday it was the 'parent/child' relationship. Today this.
>
>I'll bite. How is the little tyke?

He's terrific, a truly excellent little human.

The parent/child thing of yesterday was an allusion to the aborted conversation about Judith Bulter's Psychic Life of Power that almost began this list: if the human subject is founded in subjection, that subject may come to fear the loss of authority as threatening psychic cohesion. We are, of course, on alert not to produce a little authoritarian, but some degree of coercion comes with the territory. I think the idea that undergirds a lot of anarchist thought - not just Bookchin but Chomsky, who's said as much - that humans are hard-wired for freedom (or are born free but are everywhere in chains, as some old Froggie put it) is wishful thinking.

Doug