[lbo-talk] Alternet reviews Singer's latest (The Way We Eat)

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Wed May 24 17:35:22 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, / dave / <arouet at winternet.com> wrote:

> Why not pills?

The thing about nutritional supplements is that it presumes that modern science has a perfect and complete understanding of the way human metabolism works. For example, that the vitamin A in a pill is biologically equivalent to that in a carrot as far as the body is concerned. Is this true? It indeed be, but it may also be the case that the vitamin A in a carrot is superior because the biological context in which it is found. Do we really know all the variables?

For this reason, vitamin pills should probably be supplements to a good diet, not a substitute.

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam