[lbo-talk] artsy-fartsy

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 24 19:06:53 PDT 2006

As someone who earns a living as an artist I think Wojtek makes some good points with his definition of art. It is missing the fact that art should be reproducible. Reproducible without losing all of its meaning. Certainly its meaning will be alteredwhen it is reproduced, perhaps significantly, but some of its original meaning should still be discernable.

Were the farting exhibition to move to a gallery in San Francisco would it lose its meaning, assuming it has any? I believe it would. This makes it more a stunt. That can still be interesting and enjoyable to many people but it isn't art.

John Thornton