[lbo-talk] Alternet reviews Singer's latest (The Way We Eat) (and other responses)

Aditya Mopur mopuradityabharadwaj at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 06:15:18 PDT 2006

----- Original Message ---- From: info at pulpculture.org Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 5:26:05 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Alternet reviews Singer's latest (The Way We Eat) (and other responses)

>But please do tell us about the vegetarian cultures and what they ate and
>who they were. I don't want a list of books to read, I want references to
>legit sources and quotes.

my expertise on cuisines does not extend much beyond the indian shores, but take for example Gujarati cuisine(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gujarati_cuisine) which is largely vegetarian. They spawned M.K. Gandhi for crying out loud.

and yes B12 deficiency is a rather serious problem among the largely vegetarian population of india, along with lower levels of haemoglobin. however, those who can afford to eat 3 sqaure meals a day are not doing too badly here, it seems.

-Aditya