[lbo-talk] Street-fighting Days

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Thu May 25 07:38:59 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, uvj at vsnl.com <uvj at vsnl.com> wrote:
> The Times of India
> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/
>
> > World> Rest of World> Article
>
> Iran regime can stay if does a Libya: Bolton
> http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1549150.cms
>
> Tuesday, May 23, 2006
>
> REUTERS
>
> UNITED NATIONS: John Bolton, the US ambassador to the United Nations, said
> on Monday that Iran's leaders could stay in power and improve their ties
> with Washington if they ended their pursuit of nuclear arms.
>
> He later insisted, however, that he had not meant to threaten Tehran with
> regime change if its leaders failed to do so.
>
> Bolton, addressing a meeting of B'nai B'rith International, a Jewish
> humanitarian organization, cited Washington's movelast week to normalize
> relations with Libya after that country gave up its pursuit of weapons of
> mass destruction and said Iran's leaders faced a similar "clear choice".

Yes, the Libyan solution would be possible if Washington made a serious offer -- Rafsanjani would be overjoyed, Khamenei would take that offer, too, and the President of Iran would not be in a position to reject it.

But is the offer serious? For, if that's all that Washington wanted, it could have made the same offer in the Khatami years.

Take a look at this BusinessWeek article: "Iran: The Mideast's Model Economy? Not long ago, it was a basket case. But now growth is strong as oil prices soar and Tehran eases restrictions" (24 May 2004, <http://www.businessweek.com/print/magazine/content/04_21/b3884094.htm?chan=mz>).

The BusinessWeek writer all but kissed the hands of the clerical rulers of Iran.

Tehran was liberalizing Iran's economy: "The country has racked up growth in the 5% range for four years running, thanks to high oil revenues, abundant rainfall, and a gradual easing of the choking economic restrictions ushered in by the 1979 revolution. Not long ago, Iran was a bona fide basket case struggling to pay its debts. Now its external accounts are under control, with the trade balance in surplus and substantial hard currency reserves of $35 billion. The government is also raising money internally by privatizing shipping, auto, and other assets" 24 May 2004, <http://www.businessweek.com/print/magazine/content/04_21/b3884094.htm?chan=mz>).

And it was seeking to assist Washinton in Afghanistan and Iraq:

(24 May 2004, <http://www.businessweek.com/print/magazine/content/04_21/b3884094.htm?chan=mz>)</blockquote>

Really, what's not to like?

Besides, if Washington had made a serious offer back then, it could have conceivably prevented the rise of Ahmadinejad -- notwithstanding the simmering discontent of workers and slum dwellers that the BusinessWeek article completely ignored -- for that would have given neoliberal "reformists" a tangible result to boast of and lifted the morale of educated urban professionals and small producers who love America and want to study in it and do business with it.

I suspect that the reason it didn't make that offer when it made perfect sense to make it was Washington wanted a full neo-con prize: the total restructuring of Iran at Washington's, not the clerical gerontocrats', pace, and an overtly (not covertly) pro-Tel-Aviv government.

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>