[lbo-talk] artsy-fartsy

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu May 25 15:13:48 PDT 2006

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net wrote:

> So art is what elites tell us it is?
> Creating art requires the use of no skills?
> What are you saying is art? Anything one cares to label as such? I'd say that robs of the word of any
> meaning.

Correct, but it never did have any particularly useful meaning. It is really pretty pointless to argue about whether an object or event is or isn't art. For one thing, the way such arguments unfold it becomes impossible to give meaning to the phrase, "bad art," since the combatants in effect have have made 'art' a term of praise. "Good art" is therefore redundant; "Bad art" is incoherent.

Carrol