[lbo-talk] Alternet reviews Singer's latest (The Way We Eat) (and other responses)

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Fri May 26 09:00:22 PDT 2006

On 5/25/06, ravi <gadfly at exitleft.org> wrote:

> For you, perhaps, a vegetarian (including a vegan)
> is some well-intentioned but confused teenager who feels bad about how
> poorly animals are treated and eats fries and coke to make a difference.
> To me, a vegetarian is Uncle Nataraj who lived to 85 and accomplished
> more in each decade of that life than I have done in all my life.

Actually, when I think of vegetarians, George Bernard Shaw comes to mind first and foremost. Insofar as his diet influenced his literary output, he is as good an advert for vegetarianism as anyone I know of. Of course, he also conserved his vital essence by not bonking his wife (or apparently anyone else). Was this also part of Uncle Nataraj's recipe for lifelong vitality?

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam