[lbo-talk] Academic Freedom, was Re: Ward Churchill. . . .

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat May 27 08:03:51 PDT 2006

On May 27, 2006, at 12:02 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:

> This whole discussion has focused wrongly. The Investigation was
> corrupt
> from the beginning, and Churchill was wrong only in making a reply.

There's no doubt that there would have been no investigation except for Churchill's politics generally and the roosting chickens piece specifically. But the investigation itself was not hackwork, and Churchill was wrong to make stuff up and plagiarize. And once published, how can he not make a reply? I know this won't fit in with your agent- and agency-less version of politics, but there are a lot of people watching, maybe scratching their heads, and a nonresponse would look like a guilty plea. But as I recall, your view is that our side never makes mistakes, and it's only the rulers that are blameworthy, so I guess I'm not surprised.

Doug