[lbo-talk] Churchill, COINTELPRO, and the 2nd investigation

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat May 27 10:02:30 PDT 2006

The thing we have to do is indeed to keep our footnotes tight. As I noted before, Chomsky and Finkelstein do this, so it is their critics who exposed as liars, fraudsters and distorters. That's the position we need to be in.

_You_ may ignore inconvenient facts turned up by politically motivated (or inspired) investigations. But your "rejecting" them aint worth a puddle of warm spit, as they used to say where I grew up. And if your defense is, "he's an incompetent and fraud but so are you," that is not going to help.

No reason to to expose shoddy right wing scholarship -- every reason to do so. Norman Finkelstein is a model for that, look at his demolition job on Joan Peter's From Time Immemorial. That was a politically motivated attack, btw, obviously; it's just that NF had the goods on Peters. But this is not a substitute for doing your own positive work right. In fact, if you try to expose shoddy scholarship on the level that WC operates, the effort is going to fail and backfire,

Your mention of WC's role in the COINTELPRO investigations underlines my point. WC's lies and falsifications cast doubt on the truth. You can't reason backwards from saying: we know that certain claims are true (about COINTELPRO) and important, so we have to defend someone who made them even if he is exposed as a phony. We cut him loose and seek other bases for support for the true and important claims. (In the case of COINTELPRO we have pretty unequivocal documents, so that's fairly safe.)

This is what Kelly has been saying about the damage WC has done to all of us and to committed scholarship. This ain't the time to circle the wagons around a discredited liar.