[lbo-talk] Footnotes (Re: Churchill, COINTELPRO,and the 2nd investigation)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat May 27 10:52:08 PDT 2006

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> * I'm not all that interested in Ward Churchill himself, so I'm making
> this as a general comment. Enough said about Ward Churchill -- it's
> time to take a look at a bigger picture.

Indeed. And incidentally, a formal investigation, even if it results in "clearing" of the charges can still really mess up your life. That is why the _formalities_ of the Churchill case are so much more important than the endless details being discussed on this list.

Those minor footnote errors (if you are politically vulnerable) can (following the Churchill precedent) trigger a really elaborate investigation, and _no_ professional career will be found spotless. And those spots can show up very vividly if only one individual, in abstraction from the whole profession and/or university and/or department, is involved. Under those circumstances, the standard is not "what goes on all the time" or "normal expectations" but a Platonic Form of what a Professional is. And even if nothing comes of the investigation it can, as I have said several times now, but it needs to be repeated endlessly, really fuck up your life.

I'm getting pissed off at all this Caesar's wife horseshit.

Carrol