[lbo-talk] Ward Churchill responds to U. of Colorado investigation]

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 27 15:58:25 PDT 2006

On 27 May 2006 at 16:09, Doug Henwood wrote:

> On May 27, 2006, at 4:55 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:
>
> > For my money, the more dangerous problem here--the thing that
> > really deserves our indignation and political response--is the
> > precedent of calling for investigations of a scholar's work based
> > on his political beliefs.
>
> By the likes of Bill O'Reilly, no less, who isn't exactly known for
> his accuracy or openness to unpopular points of view. Maybe a group
> of left and liberal academics should get together and review the last
> three years of Factor transcripts!
>
> Doug

If the left is looking for a "Churchill of the right" to go after it is Dr. Patrick Michaels, Professor of Climatology at the University of Virginia. He publishes mostly books for general readership and shrill op-ed pieces. He generally stays away from peer-reviewed publications because he knows he would be torn to shreds. His few forays into peer-reviewed journals consist of material of a non-controversial nature not related to climate change. He has made up so many facts and deliberately misrepresented studies that he should be the poster boy for poor scholarship. His fabrications are much more numerous than Churchills and likely much worse than anyone else you can name. I've read his crap and, like Churchills, I don't consider it scholarly and neither should anyone else. Yet this fuck gets to testify in front of the Senate as a climate expert. He is high profile and his lies and distortions are easy enough to spot. Unfortunately I have no doubt that such an attack against him will not materialize. It's too bad because an easier target would be hard to find and Michaels fabrications are harmful to all of humanity. Taking him out would be a public service.

John Thornton