[lbo-talk] Mom, what's academic freedom?

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sun May 28 02:07:14 PDT 2006

--- info at pulpculture.org wrote:

> rely on no one. Building "the left" that Carrol
> continually enjoins us to
> create is not possible without some semblance of
> trust among us or at the
> very least a commitment to it and willingness to
> uphold the ideal.

But Carrol admonishes us to ignore the issues of academic integrity because the call for investigation was so obviously instigated by political considerations that the "left" (the one that doesn't exist) should be spending its time attack the motivations behind the investigation.

But guess what? The world isn't fair. Waaah. And Carrol's incessant calls for mobilization at the expense of deliberation is emblematic of the sort of atavistic, gut-driven activistism that makes many leftists look like the shrill, hysterical twerps that they are.

Remember, Carrol has stated that, were evidence to fall into his lap that there were indeed some sort of conspiracy in U.S. government circles responsible for September 11th, he would destroy the evidence immediately because it would distract from the essential task of mobilization against capitalism as a social system. He has elevated this sort of agressive disregard for truth to the level of political principle. That betrays a fundamentally authoritarian impulse.

Myself, if I ever get to have my own little authoritarian dictatorship, I'll lock Carrol away forever with nothing to read but a copy of Adorno's Marginalien zu Theorie und Praxis.