Biology and Society (Re: [lbo-talk] Ward Churchill responds to U. of Colorado investigation]

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun May 28 11:35:14 PDT 2006

Angelus Novus wrote:

> I'm not arguing for a biological reductionist position
> to explain social institutions. I think there's still
> valuable incites to be gleaned by figures like Judith
> Butler on issues subject constitution and such. I
> just think many leftists need to pull their heads out
> of their asses and stop merely relying on "correct"
> scientists like Steven Rose or Richard Lewontin to
> counter the claims of evolutionary psychology, as if
> natural science is about the search for the correct
> "line." Critiques of science as a social institution
> are valid, but that doesn't address the claims of
> empirical research.

We've been through this before on LBO. As a psychologist who studies this kind of stuff for a living, I reject current evolutionary psychology for two reasons: (a) it is based on a simplistic and misleading understanding of the process of evolution (in short, it is anti-Darwinian), and (b) there is no empirical research that unambiguously supports the theory. There are no "biology doesn't matter" advocates here, as far as I know, so you can stop kicking that straw man around.

Miles