[lbo-talk] Bob Again (Was National Review's Top 50 )

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon May 29 11:44:25 PDT 2006

> The anti-disco moment of punk was full of racism and homophobia. Not in
> every case, for sure, but it's there.
>
> Doug

Which bands? John Lydon left the Sex Pistols to form PiL, which moved past rock music (which Lydon proclaimed was dead) to embrace various raw ethereal sounds from other cultures. The Clash, of course, mixed reggae, ska and yes, disco (and early rap) once they got the three-chord thang outta their system. The New York bands like Blondie and Talking Heads also did this, though in my view the Heads went further and did it better than Blondie. I wouldn't label X a racist or homophobic band, nor The Germs, whose lead singer Darby Crash was queer (and penned some great lyrics), nor Fear, who wrote hard-core ironical lyrics that trashed the whole jock mentality. And then there's the Dead Kennedys' "Nazi Punks Fuck Off," a short stabbing song that I doubt the NatRev kids would find comforting.

Every genre has its idiots and knuckleheads, punk/New Wave included. But I can't think of a major, influential punk band that sang racist, queer-hating songs. Who am I missing?

Dennis