[lbo-talk] Bob Again (Was National Review's Top 50 )

Louis Kontos lkontos at mac.com
Sun May 28 16:22:58 PDT 2006

one doesn't have to be a right-winger to say these things. one can even be a professor, even a left wing professor, and say the same or worse about academia. But I don't agree with Doug's interpretation of the/any meaning of the lyrics (excerpted below). Liberty is not just a right wing slogan. Moreover, to condemn someone for 'spouting out' that liberty is 'just equality in school', i.e., someone with authority, someone learned, who is dismissing the hopes and dreams of the less learned and less cynical, in relation to this concept -- liberty -- is to condemn pretension, hypocrisy, reactionary impulse, among other things. It is the kind of condemnation someone can make before buying into the/any system. Hence, being 'younger' now, means being more idealistic and less comprised. (I could be wrong, of course, in my interpretation, but the idea that there is something 'obviously' reactionary in this song is too far out, over the top, for me to grasp.) Dylan, in this song, is 'using ideas' as his 'map'. Ideas matter, not what professors say about them -- unless they too have some ideas that anybody should care about. 'Ideas' in the university, for Dylan, amount to the same thing as 'beauty' in the museum -- a form of containment and death -- where 'infinity goes up on trial' and where old people -- even an 'old folks home' (in the college) -- gather. This stuff is reactionary? You must be joking. Louis

A self-ordained professor's tongue Too serious to fool Spouted out that liberty Is just equality in school "Equality," I spoke the word As if a wedding vow. Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.