[lbo-talk] "S-U-C-K in the USA" -- a take on Nat'l Review's top 50 conservative rock songs

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Sun May 28 23:28:32 PDT 2006

http://syndicalist.livejournal.com/427236.html

"S-U-C-K in the USA" by syndicalist

[...]

National Review rock 'n roller John J. Miller, who compiled the "Top 50 Conservative Rock Songs" that the New York Times faithfully reprinted, was a fellow at The Heritage Foundation. It's not too hard to imagine Miller at work there, enjoying a Coors, perhaps browsing through the Foundation's Christian Voice archives, when fellow Heritage Foundation member Steve Forbes comes banging angrily on his door.

STEVE FORBES: Dammit, Miller, what is that racket coming from your office!?

JOHN J. MILLER: Hey Steve-o, it's just a little IRON MAIDEN. Powerslave, to be precise. Fucking classic. Check out this riff. (*adjusts volume nob*)

FORBES: Yes, yes, John, that's all well and good. But it's distracting me from preparing my speech for Bob Jones University on how high taxes on the rich are causing the French to support Middle Eastern terrorism! I just can't do it with you blasting that damned hard rock all day and night!

MILLER: Sounds like you could use a Coors and a little chill pill, Stevie. (*tosses Steve Forbes a cold Coors*)

FORBES: I don't know, John. I really had my doubts when the Heritage Foundation brought you on. I didn't know listening to the Sex Pistols and Everclear would be part of the deal.

MILLER: Look, bro, if you're wiggin' out on how to write that speech on cutting taxes, here, this'll light the flames of inspiration for you. It's a little LP called Overkill, from Motorhead. Listen to it while you're writing -- and think of how those high taxes on the rich are really just liberal OVERKILL.

FORBES: (*takes CD*) Hmm, you know -- maybe ... maybe you're right. Maybe I have been a bit too uptight about this. Maybe I just ... Maybe I just need to loosen my collar a bit. Kick back a little. You know -- I think this may be a really good idea, John. Thank you.

MILLER: No problem, bro. Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some rockin' in the free world I have to get back to!

FORBES: (chuckling) Oh, John. You're such a cut up!

"John J. Miller is a rising star among a new generation of conservative thinkers and writers.” -- Washington Monthly