[lbo-talk] Punk as left cultural force (was Bob again, Nat'l Review)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 29 17:01:45 PDT 2006

On May 29, 2006, at 7:47 PM, B. wrote:

> Yes, there were dumb numbskulled attitudes early on in
> punk

Yes there were. I used to listen to Pat Duncan's punk/hardcore show on WFMU <http://wfmu.org/playlists/PD> a lot, and was creeped out by how much reactionary stuff was on it in the early 1980s. That changed as the decade went on, and it pretty much disappeared. But there was plenty in the early Reagan years. A lot of it was anti-hippie, a position I'm sympathetic with, but in an often hateful way.

Doug