[lbo-talk] Matriarchy/Patriarchy

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Tue May 30 07:58:28 PDT 2006

> B. wrote:
>
> Obviously humans are hardwired with the capacity to
> rape and murder and commit genocide; it's happened.

I replied
> > Obviously humans are hardwired with the capacity to shove ping pong balls up their vaginas and use their vaginal muscles to expel them with great force; its happened. Obviously humans are hardwired with the capacity to castrate themselves and run down the street chanting hymns to the Cybele. Its happened. Obviously human beings are hardwired with the capability of designing the interior of their home > to look exactly like the deck of the Enterprise in the original Star Trek. Its happened.

B replied
> That amazingly incisive laundry list left out the > hardwired capacity humans have to make Jean-Luc Picard music videos, Gar:
>
> http://www.rainbowanimations.com/animations/picardvideo.swf

The point being distracted from here, that my "laundry list" was making, is that the word "hardwired" in meaningless combined with the world "capacity". Anything a human being can do without surgical or chemical alteration is a "Hardwired capacity". Any hypothesis in the range discussed would have to argue that things like rape and genocide are "tendencies" or "default behaviors" - something which would of course carry a burden of proof. It short this was not merely a semantic mistake . Eliding "capacity" with "tendency" treats something unproven (and almost certainly wrong), as obviously and self-evidently true. The statement that humans have a hard-wired capacity to make Jean-Luc Picard music videos is exactly as meaningful and important as the statement that humans have the hard-wired capacity to commit rape and genocide.