[lbo-talk] Question on efficiency of slave labor in US South

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 09:32:00 PDT 2006

There was a big debate around this about 25 years ago. Some Chicago Nobel Memorial Prize winning economist, , I forget his name, North, something like that? he won the prize later, and a collaborate published a book called Time On The Cross and a followup book in which he argued that slave labor was pretty efficient, more than people had thought. He ran into a firestorm from people like Herbert Gutman and Eugene Genovese (then on the left). I am really bot qualified to judge the outcome, as a lot of it depended on economic issues combined with historical research that are a little beyond my depth, besides it was a long time ago, and I have forgotten the details I once knew. Probably there has been more recent research. I think that part of the problem the TotC people ran into was also due to the fact that they made the claim that most slaves were tolerably decently treated as valuable property and that not all slaveowners were sadistic brutes. (Genovese ran into similar problems arguing in a Gramscian vein in Roll Jordon Roll that slavery rested on a combination of consent or at least acquiescence and coercion). Anyway, it is at least possible that slave labor was highly efficient --s some smart and respectable people who did a reputable if controversial study thought so. But was certainly controversial.