[lbo-talk] Question on efficiency of slave labor in US South

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 15:50:49 PDT 2006

Michael Perelman:

This person you are reading must be Rush Limbaugh's fact checker.

---

I doubt he ever heard of Limbaugh. ;) This is part of an internal debate within the Russian Communist Party in the 1990s.

This is part of a polemic against histmat (once again, this is Soviet shortspeak for historical materialism), where Kara-Murza uses the supposed efficiency of US slavery as one example -- another he uses is the Japanese model of the introduction of capitalism, I don't know if he has that right either -- that supposedly violates the Soviet historical materialist model of inevitable stages of historical development. I think that what is lurking in the background here is that Kara-Murza thinks it was possible (and desirable) to preserve the Soviet system, and believes that according to histmat the collapse of that system was inevitable. So he has to attack histmat.

Nu, zayats, pogodi!