[lbo-talk] Bush hires comic book writer as chief Domestic Policy Advisor

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 16:15:33 PDT 2006

Bush brings a ray of hope to fanboys everywhere:

According to the most recent “What’s New” column at http://www.bobpark.org/, Bush's old chief domestic policy advisor, Claude Allen, was caught stealing from Target (you know, the store) and so resigned. Bush's new chief domestic policy advisor, Karl Zinsmeister, wrote for Marvel comics.

Here's some dialogue from the comic book, Combat Zone: True Tales of GIs in Iraq, that Bush's new chief domestic policy advisor wrote. It was lifted from an Amazon review, which also noted that "[a]ll the sterotypes are here. There's Duhon, the dumb but friendly Southerner, Kulzinski, the brawny Pole, Dean, the third-generation Army brat, Marco, the tough Texan, Gordon, the wet-behind-the-ears Lieutenant, and Brown, the token black. I'm pretty sure I've seen all these guys in a John Wayne movie or three. Oh, right, Wayne's there too, playing the cowboy sharpshooter. The dialogue is wordy, freighted with needless backfill, and just plain corny.":

Lt. Gordon: "I know we're still in shock over losing Sgt. Kramer. But we've got a job to do. Now I know I'm just a kid out of college, and that my joining the Army to try to make the world safer may seem a little goofy to you. But we all agree we have to succeed here."

Capt. Kirkwood: "There's a good chance one of those cavalry gun trucks could get ambushed and pinned down. If that happens, I want you to treat it like a downed helicopter, understand? We are not going to lose another one of those men. You drop everything until those soldiers are saved. That's what we do for other Americans who risk their lives with us."

-B.