[lbo-talk] Adam Hanieh, "Canadian Union Takes Important Step against Israeli Apartheid"

Yoshie Furuhashi critical.montages at gmail.com
Wed May 31 12:08:14 PDT 2006

On 5/31/06, Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I would like to move to Canada without any of the red
> tape hindrances established by the racist Canadian
> state to keep the impoverished masses of the world out
> of rich, prosperous Canada.
>
> Can I expect CUPE to undertake measures against the
> Canadian Apartheid State sometime in the near future?

You are comparing apples and oranges, i.e., immigrants and refugees. International law recognizes the right of refugees to return home or get compensated, but would-be immigrants, to Canada, Israel, or anywhere else, do not have the right to enter and stay in their destinations.

Canadian laws about asylum, immigration, etc. will get worse under Harper: <http://migration.ucdavis.edu/mn/more.php?id=3182_0_2_0>. But, proportionally, Canada accepts more immigrants than any other country except Australia, and a majority of immigrants who come to Canada are now non-white:

Half a century ago, a vast majority of the immigrants coming to Canada were from European countries such as the United Kingdom or Germany, a trend that has significantly shifted in recent years as newcomers now tend to be from Asian countries. Of the 1.8 million immigrants who arrived between 1991 and 2001, 58.0 per cent came from Asia (including the Middle East), 20.0 per cent from Europe, 11.0 per cent from the Caribbean, Central, and South America, 8.0 per cent from Africa, and 3.0 per cent from the U.S. (Statistics Canada, 2001 Census) <http://www.tbs-sct.gc.ca/report/govrev/05/ann302_e.asp>

-- Yoshie <http://montages.blogspot.com/> <http://mrzine.org> <http://monthlyreview.org/>