[lbo-talk] Matriarchy/Patriarchy

Louis Kontos lkontos at mac.com
Wed May 31 15:30:24 PDT 2006

Why bring Nietzsche into this? (He would laugh at sociobiological arguments. Everything he wrote was in opposition to the deterministic (philosophical and scientific) logic of his day.) The quote almost certainly does not belong to him. He did not believe that the purpose of the writer is to be 'understood' but instead to pursue truth fearlessly, thus rejecting the conventions of writing-reading (including the convention of separating theory from poetry -- he did write allot of aphorisms and parables, after all.) And he wrote endlessly of the necessity of readers to take responsibility of their own interpretations. This is where Foucault gets the idea that readers are always rewriting texts through their own biases and in service to their own needs. Also, why the name calling? Should Cox respond in kind? Would you cry foul if he did? Louis