[lbo-talk] Adam Hanieh, "Canadian Union Takes Important Step against Israeli Apartheid"

Louis Kontos lkontos at mac.com
Wed May 31 17:01:21 PDT 2006

Now, I think, I understand your politics. You don't favor any 'national liberation' struggles. I suppose you make an exception for 'nations' occupied by the Nazis during WWII. I suppose further that you make a number of other exceptions based on your own appraisal of nations, peoples and liberation struggles. But I don't see where you get support for your views from the Frankfurt School. (I'd like to know the basis of your appraisal. Perhaps you could also provide some examples of 'worthy' national struggles. Perhaps in a colonial context? Or is Israel the single state you want to defend in whatever it does to others?) A few other questions around your post that you might be kind enough to address: (1) I don't have a clue what you mean by a single sentence in the following paragraph: I think the nation-state is a fetish relationship
> complementary to the value-form. However, I think the
> unique nature of anti-semitism as a foreshortened,
> populist, ressentiment-driven sort of anti-capitalism
> makes the existence of the state of Israel a necessary
> pre-condition for any future communist society.

(2) are you being serious that your problem with the Israeli occupation is 'the dehumanizing effect the occupation
> has upon the occupiers', or are you being ironic in some way that I
> missed?
Louis