[lbo-talk] Re: Circulation Plunges at Major US Newspapers

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Wed Nov 1 00:16:44 PST 2006

On 10/31/06, Jim Straub <rustbeltjacobin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, we really need a North American La Jornada.

There indeed some good papers in Latin America. During an extended sojourn in Peru a few year ago, I read La República every day to my edification and enjoyment. Then there is Página 12 in Argentina, another fine lefty daily, with great columnists. There are a couple of good papers in Bolivia too, but I don't recall the names.

None of these papers was truly radical, but they offered fresh, independent views with a wider range of POVs than in the US media.

There was talk a few years ago of a US edition of the Guardian (<http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/media/columns/medialife/n_8938/>). What happened to that idea?

--

Colin Brace

Amsterdam